Pages

Monday, February 1, 2010

Pet Bed


Last April, I adopted a 12 week old boxer/lab mix. When I first picked her up, she was calm and sweet and laid in my arms for an hour. Turns out she is a bit of a con artist. Skip to nine months later and now she is just over a year old and bouncing off the walls and chewing on everything in the house...including one of the dog beds I made her two months ago. Naturally, when I saw this project I was less than thrilled at the thought of making yet another dog bed turned chew toy...but hopeful that maybe the terry cloth would prove more durable than the previous fabrics I have used. I am really thrilled with how it turned out, except the fact that it turned out just a bit too small for Duchess. Guess I need a bigger towel!!

This was not the easiest project to make...mostly because of how bulky it was and how difficult it was to stuff each section. However, there are a lot of things I really like about this pattern. For instance, I like the design of this bed...with the padded rim around it. Duchess liked the rim also. Her other dog beds are just over-sized square pillows and most of the time she is laying only half on the bed. This bed gave her boundaries and, trust me, she needs all the boundaries she can get!!! The other thing I like about this pattern is the fact that the bed is made from old towels. I love having the chance to recycle something old and used into something completely different and new. I would absolutely use this pattern again to make another dog bed. Which might be sooner than later since Duchess ripped a hole in it this morning...hopefully I can just patch it for now. Next time I will make sure to use a heavier towel, the polka dot towel was pretty thin and worn. At least she got some good use out of it last night!!

This project was provided by Pretty Little Things by Lori Marie at http://www.lorimarie.com/.

0 comments:

Post a Comment